Tuesday 5 May 2015

Exam stress - mostly mine

You know how sometimes you say things or write it down hoping the reverse will happen, because by the sheer nature of voicing it out loud or 'putting it out there' means it won't come true? Or is it just me?

THAT time of year is looming, you know, the one where the parent gets stressed out and repeats the same mantra "revise, revise, revise"or "How much work have you done tonight?",  Or is it just me?

A friend remarked that I was relaxed about the impending AS's for DD and GCSE's for DS and I sat back and said 'well, there's no point in getting het up about it is there? I'm not going to get into the spin I did last year with DD'.(Actually didn't need to as she did so incredibly well in her GCSE's).  Well, that relaxed attitude didn't last long - one day to be truthful.  Major stress, as DS has just announced he is not on top of any of his subjects and will probably not even scrape a C.

So here I am, thinking if I pour out all my worries, come August the results will miraculously not reflect the effort (or lack of) that has gone into them!

The boy doesn't lie. I can see the stress in his face; that recognition of only one week to go and too much of a mountain to climb.  Before anyone says it - I know! It's not the end of the world but inside I'm screaming IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD. What will become of him? Will he be able to stay on in 6th Form? Does he even want to stay on in school? What does he want to do?

Fact is, in the cold light of day, yes, he does want to stay on and yes he has an idea of what he wants to do. He's even looked into what he needs to do to achieve this.  But will he revise ? Still, as my mother says he needs to learn by his own mistakes but you can't help worry for them can you? Take a step back she says.

Oh and believe me, I know that it is not the end of the world and that worse things happen. But right now, in my own little world this the most stressful thing happening.

I'm still screaming inside and am hoping that by writing down my fears the reverse will happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment